The Emptiness of Two

The possibility of what our love could be...
               
                  “The Emptiness of Two”

If I walked up to you
and introduced myself,
would you smile and say,
“Pleased to meet you”?
Would you look into my eyes
and tell me your name?
If I told you, “I’ve been wanting to meet you,”
would you put your hands inside your pockets, shift your feet
and shyly say, “Me too”?
Would we exchange numbers, spend hours on the phone
trading secrets, and taking mental notes?
Would we make plans to see one another again?
Coffee?
Dinner?
Lunch in the park?
Would we be self-conscious of our own movement,
while breathlessly drinking in the other’s?
Would this be the beginning of us
and the end of you and I?
Would you be able to find a place for me
as I opened my heart to you?
Would I say, “Yes,”
then you say, “I do”?
Would we then come together as one
from this long, lonely, emptiness of two?

                                 ldw ©
          Poem Written By: Lyris D. Wallace
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/1737046601

No comments:

Post a Comment