Leave Me Alone With My Blues


As published and seen in Mignolo Arts Center Literary publication for Black History Month their current issue. I'm so excited my first published submission. Bittersweet accomplishment. This is in memory to great music and the man named Sylvester I called Dad.

          “Leave Me Alone with My Blues”

Some days, all a person has is
     their blues.
I'm talking the
     Albert King
          I've-Been-Down-Since-I-Began-
               to-Crawl
blues.
     The down home,
          Play-the-Other-Record or Two-
               collard-greens-with-cornbread-
                    on-the-side
blues.
     The kind where you just want
          to be left alone with your
melancholy. 
     Let me feel
          what I'm feeling.
The pain of living Black
     struggle, plantation
blues.
     I've-been-up-all-night, -ain't-nothin'-
          going-right, BB-King-and-Lucille-
               I-Think-You-Made-Your-Move-
                    Too-Soon
blues.
     I'm in a Z.Z. Hill
          frame of mind.
              Just leave me alone with my
                  down home
blues.
     Let-the-somber-and-
pensive-gloom-of-my-
     soul-loop-on-constant-
          repeat-
until-its-familiar-cadence-
     becomes- “Stormy-Monday”
blues.

Remembering Sylvester while
listening to T-Bone Walker.

                                cjj ©
          Poem Written By: Chyrel J. Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment