“The Next Snow Fall”
          Lyris D. Wallace

I’ve sat and wondered.
I’ve sat and hoped.
I’ve sat and cried.
This couldn’t be all of it;
There has to be more than this.
Where are the movie endings of
Happily ever after?
The fairytales of tomorrow land?
What is the necessity of life?
Necessary to do what?
To become what?
Haven’t I seen this before?
Am I reliving a reality of nightmares?
Where have all the dreams gone?
Are they hidden away in boxes marked memories?
Are they stored away in moving bins labeled wishes?
I want them back.
I want to hang them in the closet,
pull them out when things get tough.
bathe in them when the world gets dirty.
I want to take them out and lay them on a bed of hope
Oh, if I could dream as I did when I was a child.
But the world changed, and I grew tougher.
I used to look for rainbows,
But the clouds rolled in.
I thought I’d dance in the fresh rains of spring
and let the brightness of the summer sun
wash over me.
But lightening filled the skies
And the summer sun is now the bitter cold of winter.
I tried to open my mouth to its snowflakes,
But received the cutting winds of a blizzard.
So I stand here,
Wet, and frozen
waiting for the next snow fall.
                  LDW

No comments:

Post a Comment