NO VACANCIES
Lyris D. Wallace

Hey you,
How you doin’?
Oh, me? I’m good.
I just came to tell you,
it’s time for you to go.
Don’t look so shocked.
I think you’ve stayed long enough.
Your stuff?
Oh, don’t worry about that,
I’ve been packing that up for a while.
Yes Lawd, today is your moving day.
See, one day I woke up too tired to be that sick and tired of You.
So, you’ve gotta go.
Oh yes, I thought you had me.
I was down.
I was so low, I had to reach up just to touch bottom.
But one thing you didn’t count on
Was me, finding ME.
That’s right, I found Myself.
I was broken.
I was bruised.
I needed dusting off,
But the one thing I didn’t need
Was YOU.
So, it’s time.
You gotta go.
Don’t worry, your bags are by the door.
And all the friends you came with;
Doubt, worry, and self-hatred,
They’re waiting to leave out with you.
Yes Baby, today is your eviction day.
I’m done.
And you’re done taking up residence in my soul.
Cause I found out that I AM GOOD ENOUGH.
That’s Right,
I AM GOOD ENOUGH.
Every roll, every bump, every curve.
My thighs, my breasts, my stretch marks.
My lips, my eyes, my hair; from head to toe,
I AM GOOD ENOUGH.
You thought you had me broken.
Yes I was, but not shattered.
It took a long time to recover, but here I am, and you, can hit the door.
You don’t have a home here anymore.
Round it up, Insecurity.
You’ve been served your papers.
I’ve met some new friends, as a matter of fact, here they come.
Meet strength, the twins: Self-love and Self Respect.
Come on in, faith, and have a seat.
So you see, there’s no room for you here anymore.
And on your way out, don’t forget to hang this sign on the door,
“NO VACANCIES”

                                    LDW ©

No comments:

Post a Comment